Thursday, March 5, 2020

Homemade Cloth mask



I live in Washington, where the epic center of Corona virus infections are.  The medical masks are sold out everywhere.  I looked online for ways to make my own.  A lot of people in Asian posted tutorials on how to make medical masks.  I generalize the ideas and come out with this version.

Here is the pattern you will need to start.




First, let's cut out the outer shell of the mask.  It is recommended to use the kind of fabric that doesn't absorb water well.  I used polyester.  It has a shiny, plastic look.


Second, the inner layer.   The design is to create a pocket to insert extra fabric to reinforce the protection.  It is recommended to use fabric the absorbs moisture.  I used cotton, which is also soft and feels comfortable.



The last layer is the insert.  It is recommended to use non-woven fabric.  Some suggested dried up baby wipes.  The non-woven fabrics we are most familiar with are fleece and craft felt.  I used fleece.  Here are the cut-outs.



I found this Youtube video that takes you step-by-step to make the mask.



Here is one of my finished projects.  I made 5 of them already.  I am going to make 10 more for my family.   After a couple of washes, if the insert is too worn out, we can always replace with new ones.








No comments:

Post a Comment

How a Pattern is Created?

You probably don't know many people make their own dress patterns.  It's actually takes some time to learn.  However, I simplify the...